Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can you help me? Basically, I resigned my job. Then the next…

Customer Question
Hi Can you help...

Hi Can you help me?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

Yes Basically, I resigned my job. Then the next day, I tried to recant the resignation and advised that it was completely out of character. The employer would not accept my recant. I spoke with HR, I advised them that my doctor had recently put me on some meds. For some reason, the meds have me acting a certain way. I was told it should stabilize in about 4 to 6 weeks. I explained this to them and they said it doesn't matter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At Will and Full Time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, this is a large corporate fortune 50 company.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

What state are you located in?

Hello I had asked question already and was hoping to get help. I resigned from my employment and the next day, I tried to recant. The employer would no accept this - I followed up with HR and advised them that I'm on new meds for depression and that the meds were the cause of me acting impulsive. The HR rep advised that it doesn't matter, leadership already made their decision. I followed this up with an email as I wanted document our conversation and the fact that I explained this to HR. This is a fortune 50 company and I'm not sure what I can do legal to sue them for this.
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago

Yes, I received your question. I just need to know what state you are located in, in order to properly answer your question. Labor laws vary from state to state.

I'm in the state of Massachusetts
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago

Thank you for that information. Please give me a moment to formulate a response.

Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago

I am sorry to hear that your employer is refusing to accept your withdrawal of your resignation.

Massachusetts is an at-will employment state. That means that either you or the employer can terminate the employment relationship at any time for any reason or no reason at all. The limitation is that employers cannot terminate an employee for an illegal reason, such as discrimination or retaliation for exercising an employee's legal right.

It seems that you may have a claim for violation of the American's with Disabilities Act, as depression is a recognized disability under the Act. You can file a complaint for violation of your ADA rights either with:

• The Massachusetts Attorney General's Office by clicking here; or
  • The United State Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division by clicking here.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi