Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I believe I'm being let go from my job because the president…

Customer Question
I believe I'm being...

I believe I'm being let go from my job because the president of the company grab me last week during a meeting and because i reported it now my job is in question

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ca San Diego There are a long list of issues at this company There is a group of people who all have many of the same issues and have been either let go or forced to quit And while working there have been asked to do things that were either immoral or illegal

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Im a full time salary employee but they use the same reason for everyone thaty CA is an at will state

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There are lots of stories in general But im being fired tomorrow thats the big one

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

If you were injured by the president grabbing you, you can sue for damages on an assault theory. But complaining about this incident would not somehow immunize you from being fired. Your employer is correct that employment is "at will" absent an agreement to the contrary. As such, the employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

Candidly, it sounds like this is a horrible place for you to be working. You should have no trouble getting approved for unemployment benefits as you look for new work, and hopefully you will find a much better company to work for very soon.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

she grabs me to scolded me and I report her and that's it she can just fire me even though she put her hands on me in an inappropriate way? This woman has crossed the line 100x of times .. For example she asked me to send pictures of my self to a particular man to get him to do business with us. She has also asked me create illegal content for clients. The list goes on and not just me there is a large group pf us who all have stories .
People are being fired because she doesnt like the way they look

"So she grabs me to scolded me and I report her and that's it she can just fire me even though she put her hands on me in an inappropriate way?"

Please let me be clear. This is completely inappropriate workplace behavior. However, that fact does not change the fact that employment is at will. You can sue for injuries resulting from this incident, but the fact the incident occurs does not somehow mean you cannot be fired.

"This woman has crossed the line 100x of times .. For example she asked me to send pictures of my self to a particular man to get him to do business with us. She has also asked me create illegal content for clients. The list goes on and not just me there is a large group pf us who all have stories."

These are new facts. If you refused to violate the law for your employer and could prove you were terminated for that reason, you would have a claim for wrongful termination. Asking you to send pictures of yourself probably does not violate any law, but insisting upon it or taking adverse employment actiona gainst you because of it could give rise to a claim for sexual harassment. It's not illegal to terminate someone because the employer doesn't like the way they look unless it has to do with race, disability or some other legally protected trait specifically.

Was I able to answer your questions here?

Tina, Lawyer