Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was on probation for work for a year because of my sick…

Customer Question
Hello I was on probation...
Hello I was on probation for work for a year because of my sick time, during that time they were paying me my quarterly bonuses. Today they say it was a mistake and that I should have not been receiving them, an that they will take my next 5 bonuses to recover what they paid me. I'm just wondering if that is legal or if there is anything I can do since they are the ones who let it slip by for a year.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 9 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have a written employment contract that provides for bonuses?

What does the employer's policy state about bonuses for employees on probation?

I would have to check the policy but from what there telling me when your on probation you are not to receive bonuses. But I don't understand how it got skipped on other management levels for a year, an now I have to feel the damage for another year from my first probation

Thank you for your reply.

Bonuses are gifts from the employer, unless there is a contract to the contrary. So, you need to check the employer's policy on this matter. As far as an employer making a payment in error, if an employer can prove that their policy was to not pay bonus then they legally can seek to recover payment based on there error. You can make them prove that the payment was made in error and ask for proof you were not entitled to payment though. So you need to get the copy of the employer bonus policy to know whether or not you have grounds to proceed. If this is against employer's policy, then you can sue them to retain the bonus.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.