Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for the dept. of veterans affairs and have worked for…

Customer Question
I work for the...

I work for the dept. of veterans affairs and have worked for va for 10 years. I have worked the same work schedule the entire time. I now have a chief of the office I work in changing my tour of duty for no legitimate reason. Also I will be retiring in the next 2-3 months. My union reps say there is nothing that can be done. The actual change was done in the middle of a pay period.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington, DC

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It's a federal government union, AFGE and I work full time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This manager uses intimidation tactics. I have a memo/e-mail that she sent out stating that if she comes by your desk and you are not there and its not your "designated" break or lunch time (30 minutes), she will mark you AWOL.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Legally, unless your contract specified working hours, the employer has a right to decide the time employees need to be at work and that is not up to the employee. Unless the union contract specifies something else, your supervisor has the rights to set their rules that do not conflict with the contract or other employer's rules. So, as long as what she is doing does not conflict with the contract terms or other employer rules, legally she is within her rights, which is why the union is saying there is nothing they can do.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.