Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Commercial Real Estate Property/Asset Manager in California,

Customer Question
Commercial Real Estate Property/Asset...

Commercial Real Estate Property/Asset Manager in California, age 53, terminated suddenly after boss discovers part-time property management company. No conflicts of interest. Exemplary performance with ~12 years of service to company. Helped build company and negotiated many of the major leases with promises of future equity and commissions. Started business after head of HR suggested working part-time to get broker's license. Other employees have had businesses and outside employment. Do I have any leverage?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Stated - California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At-will

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Unfortunately, as you are aware, California is an at-will employment state. That means that either you or the employer can terminate the employment relationship at any time for any reason or no reason at all. The limitation is that employers cannot terminate an employee for an illegal reason, such as discrimination or retaliation for exercising an employee's legal right.

Therefore, unless there was a discriminatory basis for your termination, despite the fact that other employees have done the same thing, then you would have a claim.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi