Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

This question is in regards to a severance document I was…

Customer Question
This question is in regards...
This question is in regards ***** ***** severance document I was required to sign to receive severance pay. I was laid off and to get 2 weeks severance pay I was required to sign this document that went into detail on what I could not say about company. On top of this I reported work place harassment by a manager in a different department 1 month before being laid off. Additionally, I was required to submit documents to a customer that were falsified by a sister company with my current company knowing and approving of this.What options do I have? Is this severance document legal to gag my speech / first amendment rights?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/26/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Your options are fairly simple here you can either sign it or not. I'm not sure how you are required to sign it. Severance pay is not mandatory under law. Therefore, the employer had no liability to pay you severance pay. It's very common for employers to offer severance pay in exchange for a release and severance. The terms of this release and severance agreement are very standard, and these agreements are legal there not a violation of your free-speech rights because this is vis-à-vis a private entity; not the government. Any claims that you have against the employer would be released by this agreement. You shouldn't sign the agreement if you believe those claims have validity and are worth more than the severance amount and, rather, should seek legal counsel to explore those claims.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Ok, so I did sign this because I need the money because this was given with no notice. So can I make any comments that are negative?

You agree not to disparage them or their affiliates. This means basically you cannot say anything bad about them, even if it's the truth. Hope this answers your questions. Thanks.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer