Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My employer is trying to deduct, without written permission,

Customer Question
My employer is trying...

My employer is trying to deduct, without written permission, monies from my paycheck that they say was overpayment from 2 years ago. This paycheck is also over two weeks late.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alaska

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/26/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 10 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 10 months ago

An employer in Alaska is prohibited from making this type of deduction from your wages. They can require repayment of these amounts, as long as they have proof, and you may agree to the deduction, instead of having to repay them, but they cannot otherwise make this deduction.

Regarding the failure to pay you on time, Alaska law provides that you may seek penalties against your employer for failure to timely pay your wages. The penalty is your daily wages for each day the paycheck is late, up to 90 working days. However, you must provide them a written demand to pay the unpaid wages.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.