Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I ON FMLA FOR MED. REASONS DOCTOR APPROVED WHEN I CALL OFF…

Customer Question
I ON FMLA FOR...

I ON FMLA FOR MED. REASONS DOCTOR APPROVED WHEN I CALL OFF UNDER FMLA MY SUPERVISOR CALLS ME BACK AND ASK ME WHY IM CALLING OFF AND ASK ME PERSONAL MEDICAL QUESTION AND TOLD ME THAT SHE WAS TRACKING DAYS THAT EMPLOEES ON FMLA TAKE OFF . THEN SHE TOLD ME I TAKE TUESDAYS OFF A LOT . THERE IS A HR DEPT. AT MY EMPLOMER BUT SHE IS NOT PART OF THAT DEPT. SHE HAS ALSO ASKED ME FOR A COPY OF MY FMLA PAPER WORK . THE HR DEPT. ALREADY HAS MY PAPER WORK AND THAT IS PERSONAL MED. INFO I DONT WANT NO ONE TO SEE THAT DONT HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT . CAN YOU HELP ME THIS THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME SUE L.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

ILLINOIS

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

FULL TIME

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/26/2017
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Often supervisors are considered in the loop for purposes of knowing why a person is off of work. There is nothing in the law requiring the established of an HR department, so there isn't any particular legal authority then vested in an HR department and only that department.

Your manager can certainly ask questions about your absence and request your FMLA paperwork through either HR or you.

However, if the manager is reaching the level of harassing you about taking FMLA, to the point that you feel you are being "watched" by her, you can report the behavior to the Department of Labor in your state. While she is not technically stopping you from taking FMLA, her actions can be seen as having a hindering effect on you wanting to use leave which you are legally entitled to use.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer