Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I cannot collect unemployment compensation because my

employer, a church, is now...
I cannot collect unemployment compensation because my employer, a church, is now required to pay into unemployment. I was fired on June 15, not for cause but because of a severe budget shortage. I haven't asked this question until now because just now someone told me there may be something the unemployment office can do for me.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Part-time, 27.5 hours per week, at will.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My only income is social security ($1,420 per month), which does not cover my mortgage, condo fee, other bills, etc., not by a long shot, and my credit rating is in the 500s.
9/26/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, non-profit or religious organizations do not have to pay into unemployment in MA by MA law. This means that since they do not have to pay, their employees are legally not entitled to unemployment benefits. I am sorry to say there are no MA unemployment programs for employees of non-profit entities, so I do not know why someone told you that there may be something unemployment can do (sometimes people just say things and raise false hopes).

You can try to apply through social services to seek low income housing and possibly food stamps through them to assist you, but Social Services (welfare) and low income housing would be about all MA has to offer.

As surviving spouse, if he did take that option on his pension, even though he dies since you are his surviving spouse your benefits would continue under the survivor's benefits provision.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney