Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My husband works for Bimbo Bakery and he delivers Entenmanns…

Customer Question
My husband works for...

My husband works for Bimbo Bakery and he delivers Entenmanns Cakes. He is top guy and he took a route to deliver to wawa"s. He lost over $4000.00 in wages in three months, it is in contract they can not do that. is there anything he can do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pa

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full 23 years

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We cant pay our billsw

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/26/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience. If it says in the contract that they are not allowed to take money, then there are a couple of actions that you could take. First, it's important to understand what the legal basis of his concern would be. This appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach which could include all of your past due bills and any associated late fees. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

The other thing that he may need to do is to file a wage-and-hour complaint with his State Department of Labor. Most states require that people go through the State Department of Labor if there is a wage complaint first before they decide to go to court. So, if he cannot get them to pay the wages that he's owed informally, he can file a formal complaint and take it from there.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.