Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I plead no contest to a solicitation of a prostitution

Customer Question
I plead no contest...

I plead no contest to a solicitation of a prostitution charge that will be expunged. Will I be able to gain an insurance license ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/26/2017
Employment Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Government employers and government licensing agencies are allowed to ask you about any expunged convictions. They can also see what private employers or agencies cannot. You will have to answer the insurance license application honestly, even if on non-govermental applications you can lawfully deny a conviction.

A misdemeanor conviction is not generally fatal to an application for a license, but whether it is granted or not is determined on a case-by case basis. In general, however, if your conviction has nothing to do with theft, fraud or dishonesty, you would be eligible for an insurance license. Your conviction has nothing to do with theft, fraud or dishonesty, so your offense would not be an absolute bar to getting the license.