Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a question regarding tardiness as a teacher. NJ i…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a question regarding tardiness as a teacher

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NJ i work at a private school. they pay way less than a a public school employee. their salary is less than half a difference.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Well, I am full time for a 10 months contract. but i didnt sign anything that says that the money will be deducted if i am late. neither was i provided any teacher handbook

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, my question is, can they deduct from my salary for being late for 5-10 minutes. especially, if i was not aware of it before accepting the job.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/25/2017
Employment Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Unfortunately, the employer can do this. The employer may deduct from your salary or hours for being absent from work, which includes being late. However, the amount of deduction cannot pro rate exceed the period of absence from work.

This is true for all employees - teachers or not, public or private school.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law