Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I live in Wisconsin and I am retired and 63.11 years old.

Customer Question
I live in Wisconsin...

I live in Wisconsin and I am retired and 63.11 years old. Last may I went to the Wisconsin Employment office and inquired about my eligibility for the Trade adjustment act, I qualified for many years ago so I could upgrade my education. The counselor stated I was too old to use it and about 2/3 dozen other issues why I could not get help. I sought his supervisor and complained and was assigned another person and I did get help. Since then I basically have been frozen out from the job service and another organization in that office called workforce resource. I am a vet and getting help from the vets rep and the workforce resource rep is almost impossible. My phone calls do not get answered even my e-mails do not. I believe the guy I complained has put the word out to not assist me. what can I do. thank you Lee Hennick,***@******.***

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

The job service is a state of Wisconsin job service resource and work force Resource is a state of Wisconsin funded organization

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I believe this is a age related issue . I am a army vet who served from 1972 Vietnam to Afghanistan in 2013 and am seeking a little help in getting a job and training so I can recover fro a disaster where I lost much of my property.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

They cannot discriminate against you based on age and this is exactly what it looks like is occurring. You can file a complaint with the Equal Rights Division in Wisconsin first, https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/er/ (copy and paste the link to your browser, do not click on it).

IF the ERD cannot resolve the issue, you would have a right to sue the department and its employees for engaging in age discrimination contrary to the state and federal anti discrimination laws such as the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.

So, file your complaint first and if they cannot resolve the matter, then you can sue and as a veteran you can likely get legal assistance from your local veteran's center who has local attorneys available to assist veterans in these matters.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.