Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Is it legal to work for another company while you are on…

Customer Question
Is it legal to...

Is it legal to work for another company while you are on fmla from anther company?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Union full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There was a person on fmla for over a year and was working other jobs elsewhere now he is back and got his seniority back and is bidding on a job that I would have gotten

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/25/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

It is not inherently against the law, no. However, it does call into question whether the employee's medical leave of absence is truly necessary--if they can do one job, why not the other? But if there is a plausible reason for this, for instance, that one job is intensive manual labor and the other is a desk job, then it's entirely possible to take FMLA from one job while working another. The only other point is that if you're in a union your union contract might have specific rules against this. I would definitely read over the union contract to see what if anything it might say about working other jobs.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Was there anything else I can do for you?

Can you please let me know if you are getting my messages to you?