Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a state university off an endowment grant. I have…

Customer Question
I work for a...

I work for a state university off an endowment grant. I have not been paid since June 14. My direct supervisor has been trying to get me paid, but needs 2 signatures for my check because it is over $10,00.00. The check goes into the budget where HR can pay me through payroll. The man (Administration who needs to sign it) refuses to sign the requisition because the university is low on money or misused it and wants to use this money to patch other expenditures within the university and not pay me. I worked up until September 14 and my boss finally told me that I should not come in until the matter is resolved. My boss is trying, but the administration wants to take the endowment grant or part of it for university use, leaving me without getting a paycheck for 10 weeks. Can they do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Mississippi

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Part time and not "at will"

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's pretty much it except we have tried and tried to get this man to sign as the second signature. I worked all my hours for 10 weeks

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/25/2017
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. Can you please tell me if you filled out a W-9 and are to receive a W-2 for this work? Or, is the a 1099 purely contractual issue and, if so, what does your contract say about payment?

I filed a W-9 and will receive a W-2 for this year. I was paid by a different company for the last 2 years since February, because JSU lost my grant money then too..but was put on the payroll in February of this year. I no longer get paid by the other company, they did not have to pay me for 2 years, but my boss kept telling the other company JSU was going to hire me and they did. I filled out all the regular forms to get on payroll.
I'm broke, I don't have all the money you guys want. Will they bill me over and over?
r u still there
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 8 months ago

Hello again. I apologize for the delay in responding but by the time you were able to respond, I had left my office for court. In any event, your response was helpful and it appears since you are a W-2 employee that you have a couple of options if you have exhausted your administrative remedies with your employer. The first if to file a wage claim with Wage and Hour Division of the U. S. Department of Labor. Mississippi, does not have their own wage and labor standards agency to take wage complaints and thus the need to file through the Federal agency. Your other option is to file suit for the money you are owed.

If the employer owes you less than $3500, you could file suit yourself in small claims court. However, if they owe you more, then you will need to hire an employment law firm that deals with FLSA/wage and hour issues to file suit for you in District Court.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page for my efforts to provide you with the relevant information, the the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 25th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.