Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Would term disability show up in employment check with the…

Customer Question
Hi,Would long term disability show...
Hi,Would long term disability show up in employment check with the new company?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/24/2017
Employment Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Who do you receiving long-term disability from?

Out of curiosity, how would that matter?

If it's with some form of government program, it is possible that the long-term disability becomes known; if it is through a private insurance, then it is a lot less likely. if you are no longer receiving long-term disability currently, then there isn't an issue either way.

It is a private insurance that is provided by my current employer. So my concern is the once I am out of long term disability and say I choose to become employed by another company (a contracting firm) within a week of being off disability, will the new firm know that I was on long term disability? Also, what is included in the results of an employment check?

No, an employment check would not be looking into the fact that you were on long-term disability in the past with a private insurance company. An employment check usually only looks into criminal history and call up any references that you might have provided to the employer.

I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide a positive rating so I get credit for helping you today.

Hi Jim,Thanks for the information so far and sorry about the delay. A few other questions; (1) how long does it usually take once I have the clearance letter from the doctor, to get off the long term disability (2) how long after I'm off the disability can I accept an offer from another company? (3) How long after I accept a written offer would the new company start a background check and (4) I know this is a private long term disability insurance, but this insurance in a way is provided by my current employer. Just to confirm, despite the fact that this is an employer provided LTD insurance, would it not appear in the employment check? (5) Could any of this impact my H1B visa transfer?Thanks.

I was unaware that this involved immigration issues, so I am going to opt out so someone else with more experience in immigration can help you.

Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer