Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Had a really bad day might stop by later the pizza is such…

Customer Question
Had a really bad...

Had a really bad day might stop by later the pizza nazi is such an asshole. He hates me so much. It was so f**king busy and he yelled at me so much and called me an idiot and all sorts of terrible things almost made me cry. It was to busy for one person. He told me after we don't like you. Get your things and leave. He was just terrible. He's had the same people working for him since opening sure they got it down. I just started and still trying to get in the swing of things and situated. It's not going to be perfect. Like it was really busy. $354 in tips for 3 hours. He even pushed means called me worthless

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Part time. Small business owner

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm ok

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. To make sure I'm understanding you correctly, are you asking if it's lawful for them to call you things like worthless? Or asking if it's okay to terminate you? Or both?

Creating a hostile work environment firing me calling me terrible things infront of customers. And talking badly about me to other employees. When I did nothing wrong. The most I can think that angered him was when He asked me about my previous employers and I mentioned I adored them and they were Turkish. He's Greek and after my shift he made me stay for 30 min telling me Turkish people are trash and I stuck up for them things turned after that

Thank you for the additional information.

A hostile work environment is a workplace in which unwelcome comments or conduct based on gender, race, nationality, religion, disability, sexual orientation, age or other legally protected characteristics unreasonably interfere with an employee’s work performance or create an intimidating or offensive work environment for the employee who is being harassed.

It's hard to know from these limited facts whether he is treating you this way because of a legally protected characteristic or just because he is a jerk. Unfortunately, the law is not a civility code - there is no legal requirement that an employer be nice, not say mean things, or even yell, scream or embarrass you in front of other employees or customers. That is not a hostile work environment as defined by law. I agree it makes it difficult to work in such an environment, but regrettably the law affords no protection from that type of treatment. Bosses can yell, scream, and be all around idiots and often times, not run afoul of the law.

Granted, he is criticizing your former bosses/employers who are Turkish, but unless you yourself are being criticized or subject to verbal abuse/mistreatment in the workplace due to your national origin (or other legally protected characteristic like your race or religion) this is not a hostile work environment.

I'm sorry I cannot tell you otherwise. Please let me know if I can clarify anything or provide additional information.

If you require any additional information or clarification, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING and I'm happy to help you further. Otherwise, kindly remember to click on the stars at the top of the page to leave me a positive rating as experts are only compensated for our time and efforts once you do so. Thank you.