Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Am currently out on disability. I found out that my employer…

Customer Question
Am currently out on...

Am currently out on disability. I found out that my employer is non-compliant with disability and workman's comp. Do I have grounds to quit and collect unemployment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Part time 24 hours weely

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm still waiting to collect from the special funds unit due to employers non-compliance. I've been out of work since July 13, 2014 with no income whatsoever

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

No, this is not grounds to quit and it would not entitle you to unemployment. Unemployment is available only to those employees who lose their employment through no fault of their own and are able and looking for full time employment; as you are out on disability you are not able to work.

If your employer is not complying with disability or workers compensation, then you need to file a complaint with NY workers compensation board and the NY Department of Labor and you can also seek an attorney locally to sue the employer. Attorneys who take these cases do not generally charge up front, they charge based on the benefits they win for you and sometimes can make the employer pay attorney's fees if the employer's conduct is found to be malicious.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney