Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Here is my situation, I am employed by a railroad and

Customer Question
Here is my situation...

Here is my situation, I am employed by a railroad and everything is based on senority

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

Im in the process of discussing this with HR, but I'm trying to see what I can do if my seniority is violated according to our union bargaining agreement

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It's full-time union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes the reason I'm asking is because myself and 3 other employees have just entered a new training class for a new position. According to how seniority works we have badge numbers which makes me the senior person with the most service time. But they are placing me last in seniority

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/23/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your question about this for us? Have you filed a grievance yet?

No I'm wondering what I can do about this
hello

Thank you for your reply.

As you are a union member and this is an alleged violation of contract, the law and your contract says you have to file a grievance through your union for adjudication. If the union finds a violation and the employer refuses to correct it, they will file for arbitration or will go to the National Labor Relations Board to dispute it as an unfair labor practice. This is how any grievance under a union contract must be handled under the contract dispute resolution procedures.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

ok thank you .

Thank you for your reply.