Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Well. sent a text to a perspecive client by mistake. Not…

Customer Question
Well. sent a text...

Well. sent a text to a perspecive client by mistake. Not currently doing business with my compnay but is in the process of enrolling to do business. One of my kids was trying to send his broither a text that read " better a work around than a reach around". I caught it after and sent a "sorry worng text" response. Can that get be fired?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time at will I believe

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing else that simple

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/23/2017
Employment Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

I am a California licensed attorney with comprehensive knowledge of employment law.

Under Cal. Labor Code Section 2922, an employer or employee may terminate an employment relationship, "at will": at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all. Obviously, there are exceptions to this rule -- the most well known being discrimination based upon race, color, nationality, religion, sex, age or disability.

Your stated facts do not raise any issue of discrimination, therefore, the employer can terminate employment due to the text. The key to understanding this is that the employer can terminate employed even if you never sent the text at all.

Whether or not the employer would terminate based on the facts you describe is unknown. It seems fairly trivial to me -- but, if an employer is looking for an excuse to terminate an employee, it can and will (in my experience) use whatever it chooses to justify its actions.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer