Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Im employed with a construction ccompanyon a job that per…

Customer Question
Im employed with a construction...
Im employed with a construction ccompanyon a job that per diem is being paid. Most recieve per diem. In the beginning you had to live 53 miles away to recieve it. Then it changed to 60 miles. Some live closer to the job than i do and recieve per dem. When i hired on. I signed a paper that said my craft an hourly rate with a note saying no per diem. What is the law on per diem. Does the company have to pay all employees per diem or can the company keep the per diem for themselves.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2017
Employment Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good afternoon
There is a government per diem rate set for every part of the country, but it's only required to be paid by the government to government workers when their employer (the government) requires them to be away from their home overnight. There is no requirement that private companies pay a per diem for travel.If your employer had a contract or agreement with you or all the employees, they would be bound by the per diem rules they have in place. However, they can change the policy unless you have a contract that specifies the term and conditions of the per diem pay for you. They can hire workers under different agreements and terms.However an exception would be if you had a contact, and once your contract expires they can renegotiate the terms of the per diem payments.
The only other exception is if you have a Union bargaining agreement that explicitly states that they must pay a per diem to all employees in your bargaining unit.I hope this clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.
If you have any other questions please just ask