Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a 56 year old woman in a senior director role for a…

Customer Question
I am a 56 year...
I am a 56 year old woman in a senior director role for a major cosmetics firm. I have been with the firm for 9 years, with 7 promotions over that time, impeccable reviews and major salary increases every year. They are restructuring in the new year and eliminating my role, but offered me a role in another town that I would have to relocate to, which I don’t want to do. I offered to commute to that city at my cost, but they said no, they want the person to live in that city. They offered a severance of 16 weeks pay, 2 months of my current benefits and any bonus if earned at year end. This package seems extremely light to me. I was expecting a month for each year of service. Am I wrong?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/23/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

I will look for your response, thank you

I am sorry to hear of the problem.

The (very) general rule of thumb for severance pay is 2 weeks salary/yr of employment.

As you are probably aware, there is no legal obligation to pay severance to a departing employee, absent a contractual provision to the contrary.

So, anything the parties agree to is perfectly legal.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer