Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was terminated on 6/1/17 after being put on an

Customer Question
I was terminated on...

I was terminated on 6/1/17 after being put on an administrative leave pending investigation of a first-time, admitted error I made having to do with my job performance. Prior to this incident, I have received “Exceeds Expectations” on all yearly performance reviews. This was the first corrective action I have ever received for an actual work related error, and the company progressive disciplinary policy was not followed. I believe the director was waiting for any reason to end my employment to protect my supervisor after an anonymous letter had been sent to HR in December 2016 accusing my supervisor of practicing favoritism towards me, and also as retaliation for complaining about being written up unfairly as a result of the “anonymous” letter, which addressed me working off the clock and taking late lunches and missing breaks, however I was never paid for the time I had worked or penalties required by law. Do you think this would be worth pursing?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes, California and the employer is Sutter Health

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At Will and full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's alot of details, but I think that is all for now

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/23/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 8 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Unfortunately, California is an at-will employment state. That means that either you or the employer can terminate the employment relationship at any time for any reason or no reason at all. The limitation is that employers cannot terminate an employee for an illegal reason, such as discrimination or retaliation for exercising an employee's legal right.

From the information you described, the termination does not fall under any of the prescribed exceptions to terminating at-will.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you and hope it will not affect your rating of my services.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi