Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a company in Rhode Island. I work FT for 6 months…

Customer Question
I work for a company...
I work for a company in Rhode Island. I work FT for 6 months and PT for 6 months. It looks like I am going to need surgery and be out collecting TDI. But I am about to roll over to PT hours. Does that matter? Does it effect the weekly benefit amount? Or is the pay fully determined by dividing up the lump sum the benefit quarter tallied up?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/23/2017
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question, however, I am unclear as to whether or not your TDI is a policy through your employer or private, can you share that information? I will be away from my computer for much of the day but will respond to your reply as soon as I am available again.

Ah. Then I'm unsure you can help. Rhode island is one of the few states that offers TDI. It's handled just like unemployment through the state. It's pretty unique. We pay for it as we work as it's taken out like taxes in RI. If you are unfamiliar with it and how it works, how the benefits are calculated etc let me know. Maybe another lawyer does know. But being such a limited program, I think only 3 states, I might need a specialist. Thanks

No problem, that is why I asked for clarification. I will opt out though.

Thank you for being honest. I appreciate it
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, as your previous contributor had to leave. While I am a RI attorney, I am NOT your attorney and cannot represent you or provide you legal advice by state law.

Under the RI TDI plan, your weekly benefit is calculated based 4.62% of the wages paid to you in the highest quarter of your Base Period, which is the highest quarter in the last 4 quarters of work from the time you became disabled. As of 7/2/17 or later, the minimum benefit amount is $89.00 and the maximum is $831.00. Your dependents allowance is in addition to that amount and it is calculated ten dollars ($10.00) or seven percent (7%), of the individual's benefit rate, whichever is greater, per dependent.

See: RI General Laws 28-41-5 and 28-41-5b

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney