Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

A small business has crews that go on the road and sometime…

Customer Question
A small business has...

A small business has crews that go on the road and sometime must drive four hours to a job site. There they work four hours for a total of eight hours work. Then they go to a motel paid by the employer and sleep for eight hours, and then go back to the job site and work another eight. What if any overtime is required for these employees? Would it be possible for you to telephone me. Thank you very much. Albert Reynolds(###) ###-####

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes, of course. The business is located in Chula Vista and it has customers all of the state and dispatches work crews frequently. Albert

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will, nonunion, and full time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, not really, but I would like to speak with the lawyer by phone, if possible. Albert

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/22/2017
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

No overtime is required for these employees. The travel time and work time in the first day is 8 hours. The time that they spend not working, but staying at the motel, is not compensable time. Then the 8 hours they work the next day is straight time.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.