Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a school district, and we have an evaluation

Customer Question
I work for a...

I work for a school district, and we have an evaluation system called TEI. TEI uses several components to evaluate it's teachers. One of them is a performance evaluation by the principal, the other is an effectiveness level they base on attendance. They say that this apart of pay not evaluation but it prohibits me to receive the rating my performance earned, by doing this they also negate the 3, 000 dollar raise that comes with the rating.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I did not meet the days because I was on FMLA

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Texas

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/22/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you for your patience. I’m sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, 42 USC 2000e-2 prohibits employers from taking negative employment action against an individual on the basis of their disability. FMLA is a job protection measure that allows people to take up to 12 weeks off of job protected leave to care for a loved one’s or their own disability. In your case, if there is a performance rating system that kept you from getting your raise because you were out caring for your disability or the disability of a loved one, then it is possible that they may be violating 42 USC 2000e-2. To help resolve your issue, you may want to consider speaking with your superintendent or principal about waiving that time you were out on FMLA to help you get the raise. Otherwise, you may be able to file a claim with your local Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and file a complaint. You may also sue for breach of contract and for discrimination as well, should you be so inclined.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer