Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Can My employer recover from my pay check money that was…

Can My employer recover from...
Can My employer recover from my pay check money that was overpaid?My employer made incorrect payment for 5 months regarding overtime,can they recover all at once ,without employee consent?( server at restaurant)
9/22/2017
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Unfortunately, Georgia has no laws against employer deductions or outlining how they are to be done. Therefore, if the employer can claim a legitimate basis for doing so, the employer can deduct the wages.

The employer would only be limited by federal law, meaning that they could not deduct so much that your payment for that pay period goes below minimum wage for the hours you worked.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer