Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can an independent contractor be charged for overhead

Customer Question
Can an independent contractor...

Can an independent contractor be charged for overhead expenses?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

My contract states hourlly wage only

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Hours to be agreed upon

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/22/2017
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

If your contract doesn't specify that you can be charged for overhead, you can certainly argue that it is a violation of your contract.

You should check the terms of your contract though to see what steps the employer has to take to modify the agreement. If there aren't restrictions on how the employer can modify the agreement, they can make any of these sorts of changes forward looking. So basically, they can say "ok, this is the new arrangement, because the contract doesn't stop us from changing the terms. If you don't want to work under those conditions, take care."

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer