Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I asked a question regarding a voluntary separation with my…

Hi I asked a question...
Hi I asked a question regarding a voluntary separation with my employer and they gave me a severence package. I was told that it would not affect my unemployment claim if I was paid in a lump sum, whick I was. Now unemployment has denied me because of the severence payment. I have to appeal, what can I put in my appeal to prove I should get unemployment? This is the state of Maryland.
9/22/2017
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Benefits would not automatically be denied but can be affected by the severance and reduce it. You can try to argue that it is not income or a wage but recovery for a work claim that was resolved. You can also see if employer will not oppose. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
the employer stated that they would not fight any unemployment claims. My understanding is that benefits should not be affected after the month is was received because it's not income after that. Is there a law or something I can reference for an appeal?
Correct and company can be asked to support the appeal. It is not statutory but how the agency applies it!
ok...I will contact my former employer. Thank you.

Very welcome, kindly rate me positively.

Infolawyer, Lawyer