Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have been under a tremendous amount of stress at work. I

Hi...I have been under a...
Hi...I have been under a tremendous amount of stress at work. I take medication for anxiety, but the stress is so bad I can't function at work, I've lost customers money that I am responsible for, I can't process the necessary paperwork. I can not sleep, once at work I can't perform my daily duties due to my anxiety, I want to run out of there and scream.!
9/22/2017
N Cal Attorney

I am sorry to hear this.

Is the stress caused by your employment, or something else?

I'm not sure, when I'm at work the anxiety is at its extreme. When I'm there or home I can't prioritize, finish tasks etc...i am under doctors care for yes for anxiety. But something is wrong

Do you recall when this started or what triggered it?

How many people work at your location and within 75 miles of your job site?

I'm not sure... I have relocated to a different location within the same company, the anxiety was tense there, but my new location that I have been there since Aug 1st and rendered me almost useless at work and socially.

Do you think there are more than 50 employees?

Their are almost 500 employees
Hello?

Then you should be eligible to request leave under the CFRA, see

http://www.employmentlawhq.com/state-requirements/california.html

as long as your doctor recommends it and you have worked there for over a year, see

https://www.dfeh.ca.gov/resources/frequently-asked-questions/employment-faqs/pregnancy-disability-leave-faqs/pdl-cfra-fmla-guide/

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=GOV&sectionNum=12945.2

states you are eligible for "(C) Leave because of an employee’s own serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the functions of the position of that employee, except for leave taken for disability on account of pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions."

I hope this information is helpful.

Is cfla the same as fmla?
very helpful... thank you

No, CFRA is broader than the federal FMLA. The differences are outlined here.

How would it be determined if I get a paid leave of absence versus a non paid leave of absence?

Both FMLA and CFRA leave is not required to be paid leave, although some employers do have policies providing for paid leave. But all employers have to maintain your health benefits during CFRA leave, see

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/tools-and-samples/policies/pages/california-cfra-fmla-leave-policy.aspx

You can apply for temporary disability from EDD, see

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/california-short-term-disability-overview.htm

You can apply on line, see

http://www.edd.ca.gov/Disability/How_to_File_a_DI_Claim_in_SDI_Online.htm

N Cal Attorney
Phone call session started

Thank you for the great rating!

N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer