Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am looking for information about unfair treatment in the…

Customer Question
I am looking for...

I am looking for information about unfair treatment in the work place. We are a NPO and I have heard the President wants to let me go over volunteers who have treated me poorly and do not do their job while I do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York, Ronald McDonald House Chartities.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will full time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been there just shy of a year and the issue is ongoing since early May.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/22/2017
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Unfortunately, unfair treatment alone is not illegal in employment law. Nothing in law requires employers to be reasonable or fair in their decisions.

It would only be illegal, and you'd only have the basis for a complaint, if you can state that you were being let go based on your race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent FMLA use. Then you could claim an illegal form of discrimination.

Otherwise, there is not claim to make simply based on it being unfair to keep them over you.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

If it's been hostile where they say volunteers can talk to me how they want etc but I must "kill them with kindest" since I am staff that's also justifiable, correct?

That isn't illegal.

Many mistakenly believe that the term "hostile work environment" refers to any sort of hostility at all. It is understandable, but also inaccurate. The Supreme Court, when creating that term, stated that our employment laws are not meant to be a civility code. Instead, the term only refers to hostility based on one of the factors that I mentioned.

So unfortunately no, that does not change my previous response.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day