Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

What is the fee? How do I know at what rate the rest will be…

Customer Question
What is the fee? ...

What is the fee?

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Employment Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

How do I know at what rate the rest will be billed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Union, for the government, and full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
I work for the government. I used to telework at home one day/week. I have worked here five years and am a union member. Last month I was told there was an issue with regard to file manifest (reports of what files we're taking home), taking files apart, and that I hadn't entered the files into the outcome/decision of the files I'd worked earlier into the computer system. My telework agreement was revoked. I thought that was the end of it. I had an offer for a promotion in Virginia, which I'd accepted. I sold my house, hired movers, and procured an apartment. Last Friday I received an email from the Associate Director telling me that due to events they were investigating, my EOD date had been delayed my 30 days. I was told it was a result of something greater than the things I listed to you. The union was told I was told what those things were. I most certainly was not told. The supervisor who claims to have told me has been dispatched for emergence assistance after the hurricanes. Today I received an email from the Associate Director that indicate there "additional items" I didn't mention that were being reviewed. I still have no idea what these items are. The collective bargaining agreement says I must be told. My house has been sold, I've had to put my belongings in storage, and have taken up residence as one of those extended stay places. I'm very upset and have anxiety over this. Depending on the what this "disciplinary proposal" suggests, the office where I was offered the promotion could rescind the offer. I'm beside myself. Should I have a lawyer? And if so, what can be done? Does the government just get to do whatever it wants because it's the government?
By the way, today I called and scheduled an appointment with my doctor.
9/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I’m very sorry about this situation. This appears to be a classic breach of contract because they have failed to reasonably inform you of the reasons for the negative employment action consistent with your collective bargaining agreement.. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. It is possible that your CBA has a mediation/arbitration clause in it.

Also, you may have a separate civil action for tortious interference. What this means is that it is a wrongful act where they are interfering with the contractual relationship that you have with another party, in this case, the other department.

.Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.