Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Confidential? This one's interesting. My boss is trying go…

Confidential? Lawyer's Assistant: We...

Confidential?

Lawyer's Assistant: We keep all your personally identifiable information confidential and even have people that double check to make sure something doesn't slip through. Your question goes out to the Lawyer's and then gets published with the answer to help others with similar problems.

This one's interesting

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

My boss is trying go blackmail me to stay. He knew I would be resigning. I notified him yesterday that next Friday would be my last day. He's now trying go say my on-call pay for the last year and a half weren't authorized and I'll have to pay him back and continue working or he's already got lawyers and I'll be charged with a 3rd degree felony

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Florida for work, just relocated to north Carolina as of last month

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My husband and 3 kids are up there

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing just threats so far

9/21/2017
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome. I am very sorry to hear about this. Did you have a specific question I can assist you with?

what are my options of response. He's very aggressive, and since I have nothing in writing he's leaning on me to try to get me to admit guilt, agree to a payment plan, and continue to work for him. If I continue with my resignation he will most assuredly report me. What course of action would you recommend?

Thank you. I cannot tell you what to do, I can only explain general legal principles so that you can decide what to do. Threatening to report you to the police if you don't continue working is extortion, which is a crime in itself. If it's possible to get that threat in writing from your employer then you have evidence of the crime. Of course, this will not prevent them from actually going to the police, or prevent the police from investigating whatever they report. That could still happen, and is not changed by the fact that your employer is engaging in extortion.

Now, the good news is that it's very unlikely something like this would be criminal prosecuted. Unless fraudulent intent can be showed, this is a civil matter, merely a question of what is appropriate compensation and whether you were overpaid. You could quit and most likely all your employer could do is sue you in civil court for the amount of any overpayment. They would have to prove that you were not supposed to be getting this on call time, which will be dififcult for them to prove because you were getting it for so long. So, if it was truly unauthorized why was it not brought to your attention much sooner?

In my opinion, you can never let someone exert control over you through black mail. If you let them do it, they'll never let go. They might want you to work an extra 4 months now, but what happens when that's over and then your employer tells you that they want you to work an extra four? You have no way of knowing how far they'll take it, and the only way of retaining control is by ignoring the threat.

Again, what you decide to do is up to you, but I hope this general information is helpful to you in making your decision.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further. If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

If I continue with the resignation and return to NC to be with my family and try to obtain new employment (he said he would try to block me from getting a new job when they call to verify my employment) - will leaving the state cause me any issues?

No, leaving the state generally would not cause an issue unless you were actually charged with a crime. Otherwise, you're free to go wherever you want.

Was there anything else I can do for you?

Should I obtain representation now, or wait to see what happens? Thanks and I appreciate your help.

At this point there is nothing to obtain representation for. Until you are charged or a lawsuit is filed against you, there is nothing for an attorney to do.

I hope this helps. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.

Patrick, Esq.