Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

We are a NJ employer, if an employee is summoned to jury…

We are a NJ employer...
We are a NJ employer, if an employee is summoned to jury duty and is an exempt salaried employee do we have to pay them for days of work they miss within the work week?
9/21/2017
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

An employer is not required to pay an employee any wages for time spent complying with a jury summons or serving on a jury, regardless of exempt or nonexempt status..

An employer may not discharge, penalize, threaten, or otherwise coerce an employee with respect to employment, because the employee is required to attend court for jury service. New Jersey Stat. 2B:20-17

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer