Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm a salaried employee...can I have my lunch taken away? I…

Customer Question
I'm a salaried employee...can...

I'm a salaried employee...can I have my lunch taken away?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

Yes, I have documented it...should I send my documentation to HR?

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Can you tell me what state you are in?

Remote worker-working from home office in NY...company HQ'd in Charlotte,NC
Also...abusive in they take away access to tools that help us do our jobs....

I'm reviewing the conflicts of law issue to make sure I know which state's laws apply to the lunch issue.

On the question about abuse, is it based on race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use?

Because you work in New York, their laws would apply. Lunch breaks are required if you work a specific period of time, regardless of the type of work you do or your classification. Salaried exempt employees aren't excluded in New York.

https://www.labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/wp/LS443.pdf

Your employer may be unaware of this. Send them the law and they will either comply or not. If they retaliate against you for showing them the law, file a complaint with the New York Department of Labor and they will handle the matter (also if they refuse to return lunches to you).

On the issue of abuse, unless you can claim discrimination based on one of the factors I mentioned, there isn't anything that you can do about that. The Supreme Court has noted that employment laws are not meant to be a civility code.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

i think it's reverse discrimination non american boss discriminating against americans....

That's just called discrimination now.

If you feel that that is the motivation, contact the EEOC and make a claim of discrimination.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer