Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Nj Depart. Of Labor asking for refund of Unemployment

Customer Question
Nj Depart. Of Labor...

Nj Depart. Of Labor asking for refund of Unemployment Benefits from 2015 because I resigned from my parttime job., but I was awarded Benefits because my full time employer let me go. This request for repayment is after 2 yrs.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I resigend from my parttime job on 3/152015, then 2weeks later my fulltime job let me go. Somebody auditing my file turned around and negated my entire claim because I resigned from my part-time employer

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Was the benefit based on the full time job termination? If so yo need to explain this so their record is adjusted.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.You can have an employment lawyer do so. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Tina, Lawyer