Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I left my workplace on 09-19 because my Supervisor is

Customer Question
I left my workplace...

I left my workplace on 09-19 because my Supervisor is verbally abusive. This has happened on several occasions. The last occasion occurred in private with my manager present. I left the conference room left work and contacted HR. HR did not reply back to me until the following day stating it is considered job abandonment. The manager is covering for the supervisor for business needs. She knows she has a behaviorial problem and I'm quite sure there is a record of it in HR. What do I Do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At Will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I offered to come back as long as I was not working for her and they told me there were no other openings at this time which is false.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Unfortunately, in employment law, there is nothing that makes general verbal abusiveness illegal. The Supreme Court addressed this issue when they defined "hostile work environment." Many thought that that term would apply to general hostility, but the Court stated that our employment laws are not meant to be a civility code. Instead, they are only intended to deal with specific forms of discrimination, so unless the hostility is directed at race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use, it is not illegal.

Some states have considered workplace dignity laws that would make generalized hostility illegal, but none have passed at this time.

What that means for this situation is that, unless you can argue that the employer's motivation for the treatment is discrimination based on one of the factors I mentioned, there is nothing legally that you can do here other than apply for unemployment. The employer doesn't have to move you to a different section.

If you can make the allegation that discrimination is the motivation here, then you need to make that argument clearly to HR so that they have a chance to respond. If they don't respond appropriately, then you can file an EEOC complaint.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.