Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

We were just informed by our employer that all personal cell…

Customer Question
We were just informed...

We were just informed by our employer that all personal cell phones will be left in the car, it get's 120 degrees here in the summer. Can they legally do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I commute 65 miles one way to work and leaving my cell phone at home is not an option

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, if you know, what is the reason behind this rule?

they say safety and production it's a new policy for all. I wouldn't care so much but it get 120 plus degrees here in the summer which will melt our phones. Me personally I commute 65 miles each way so leaving my phone at home is not an option. I'm just wondering if they can legally do this?
i'm at work and do not want to switch to the phone. I would just like an answer please.
Thank you

Thanks

I have some thoughts and will type them up...a few mins please