Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am charged with misdemeanor for biting my ex boyfriend…

Customer Question
I am charged with...

I am charged with misdemeanor for biting my ex boyfriend during a fight. I am going to voluntarily surrender myself in next week. In how many days do I have to report my conviction to NYS Board of Nursing?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

Not yet. I just found out yesterday that he (my ex) pressed a charge and police department issued a warrant.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

1. Days I have, to report my upcoming coonviction.Expectations for my unprofessional misconduct Oh sorry! Sent before I finished typing 1. Days I have, to report my upcoming conviction to both NYS Board of Nursing & my current employment. 2. Expectations for my unprofessional misconduct. Thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Technically speaking, according to the guidelines for your profession, you are not required to report convictions until you are renewing your registration with the Board. Each time you do that, there are questions that you have to answer concerning convictions and your "yes" response to that re-registration triggers a review of your circumstance by the Board.

Now, courts will sometimes notify the Board when they are dealing with a known license holder and that report too can trigger the review or you can certainly choose to make the report yourself before the re-registration date.

As for expectations, you may receive a written warning with a probationary period, where you could receive a suspension if you repeated that sort of behavior. It is a misdemeanor and not very serious, as compared to alcohol or drug abuse, unless you have a history of similar behaviors.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer