Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am an at-will employee. I am in the process of being

Customer Question
I am an at-will...

I am an at-will employee. I am in the process of being terminated. Do I have a right to the information in my employee file and/or the documentation of the allegations against me that are resulting in the termination

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

I meet with them today and planned to ask for the contents in my employee file because apparently there has been a previous investigation that I not told about. I wanted to know if I could legally/ are they required to give me the information in my employee file if I request it

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am not sure what others questions to ask because I don't know what i don't know. I know that I have basically no recourse as an at-will employee, but I wanted to my rights in terms of requesting documentation leading to termination

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Which state?

Tina, Lawyer