Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I resigned a high level government job and gave the four…

Customer Question
I resigned a high...

I resigned a high level government job and gave the four weeks notice required by my contract. My employer immediately put me on administrative leave and issued a press release announcing that. Have I been effectively fired?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My job is ethics-related so anything likely to impugn

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
You acted properly. You have only been fired if company said so or published a termination. Otherwise you simply comply with the leave, get paid and move on. If they published false statements you can consider demanding they correct and possible defamation. if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Since the agency publicly announced its actions, am I entitled to a name clearing hearing?
You also reserve state court options and often this can also be resolved by mediation.Good luck.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Awaiting your reply, thank you!