Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My company offers short term disability and has paid other…

Customer Question
My company offers short...

My company offers short term disability and has paid other employees who are off for surgery. I just had a hip replacement and was refused short term disability because they said it is for people that are totally disabled and waiting for disability

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Az

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They first told me in an email that I would get short term disability then sent a second email mail saying I did not qualify

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, since employers are not required to pay any disability benefits at all, they can choose when to offer it. It is not unlawful for an employer to restrict such benefits to circumstances in which employees are "totally" disabled. All you can do is attempt to reason with your employer, but there is no way to compel payment. I truly wish I could tell you otherwise.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....