Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Im looking for a lawyer specializing in employment law for

unlawful termination JA: Have you documented...
im looking for a lawyer specializing in employment law for unlawful termination
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: right now i want to file a wage claim, but i was an independent contractor and i have five signed contracts and three of them have a name of a second company and i am not sure who to file my wage claim against
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I didnt have recourse to HR
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: it was at will
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

If there are 2 contracts with one company and 3 with another, you will need to file two separate claims; one against each company.

However, you should be aware that part of your claim will need to establish that you were not an independent contractor, otherwise your wage claim will fail. An independent contractor cannot make a wage claim against a company, they need to file suit against the company.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was paid by company A, and Company B was a type of sub contractor. These two company's sent me to a third company C who i was contracted for. Thats why I am not sure who to file a wage claim against. Company A is research recruitment, Company B is research experts, and Company C requested research for their products.

Company A and Company B, as they are the ones that were required to pay you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Company B did not pay me directly, they subcontracted to Company A. But their name is ***** ***** contracts which is confusing to me.

Thank you for the clarification. If the contracts with Company B state that they are responsible for payment, then you would pursue a claim against both. If the contracts to not state that, then you would pursue a claim against Company B only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a way for me to pay you to review the contracts?

Yes, I can offer a premium service in order to review the contracts.

How many pages total are the agreements?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the documents relevant are just two. totalling 3 pages

Okay. The additional fee to review the documents would be $50. If that is acceptable, I will send you the premium service offer.

Roy Hadavi
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just spoke with the labor wage comission, they asked me to include both companies names. Thats a relief!

Perfect! Glad I was able to help and you were able to save some money.

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-royhadavi/ Or, simply request “Roy only” in the first line of your question.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi