Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a nurse in a term facility in Il.The bosses recently…

I am a nurse in...
I am a nurse in a long term facility in Il.The bosses recently posted a notice that the nurses are going to start being mandated starting Oct. !st. This has never been a practice there and is not in their policy book. None of the other departments will be sujected to mandation and neither will the C.N.A.s Can they do this?
9/20/2017
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Unfortunately, the answer here is not going to be satisfying, because it is one of those odd things in employment law. The employer can do this because there is no law saying that they can't. That's really what it comes down to. The fact that they have not do so before does not mean that they can't make changes. The fact that it is not in their policy also does not mean that they can't do it now. They can change policy through re-writing it or simply through practice.

They can apply this just to nurses, because that is not an illegal form of discrimination. Singling people out based on race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use is illegal, but it is not illegal to single out a specific class of employees.

I wish I could tell you differently here, but the employer can make this change. They have given notice prior to doing so and, on that basis and on the basis of the concept of "at will" employment, the employer can do this.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
I thank you. Can prn workers be mandated?

I'm aware of no restrictions against that.