Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Is the time limit to file a suit for wrongful termination…

Customer Question
Is the time limit...

Is the time limit to file a suit for wrongful termination and or liabel/slander 2years in Virginia? are there any conditions or circumstances that would make the time factor 1year or less?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state you're in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will, full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Federal govt contractor / dept of interior.nps

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

The statute of limitations for wrongful termination is 2 years; please see;

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title8.01/chapter4/section8.01-248/

The statue of limitations for defamation, both libel and slander, is 1 year.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title8.01/chapter4/section8.01-247.1/

The statutes are controlling so that is the maximum time frame in which the suit must be filed; the statute does not otherwise limit the timing of such actions.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

I need to know if there are any situations, circumstances, or reasons that would cause the statute for libel / slander to be estoppel or not to expire? very urgent answer required if possible call(###) ###-####!
The statute does not address that estoppel. That is an equitable doctrine that is applied ad hoc by the courts and is not legislatively mandated. You may request a phone call as an additional service and your request will be placed in that queue.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer