Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I would like to get a separation document reviewed by Legal…

Customer Question
Hi, I would like to...
Hi, I would like to get a separation document reviewed by Legal Eagel as I discussed the situation with him
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! Thanks so much for coming back. Was there anything specific in the agreement that you would like me to review?

I want to make sure my pension is protected, the equity vested is protected, 401 K is protected
Also are there other areas where you think I could have more room for negotiation? Is there anything is the terms that seems out of ordinary that I should ask them to amend?

Understood. Let me review and get back to you ASAP.

Hi - I didn't see a response yet
Hello
I have not heard anything back. Can you please respond to my question ASAP that you said you were reviewing? Thank you.

Hello, my apologies, my day unexpectedly got away from me and I when I tried to get your question back, the system wouldn't let me find it. Sometimes, responding can trigger it back. It's on my list today to review and I will be sure to get back to you. Thanks!

Ok, thank you very much for your patience. Generally, this looks good. I wouldn't recommend many changes. The document is read-only so I wasn’t able to redline any changes. Regardless, I can help you out:

1. Subsection b under section 1 says a lump sum payment of $42,000, but the number in the parenthesis is $62,500. You may want to fix that.

2. Section 6: I would probably get rid of the non-compete clause. Use that as a way to help sweeten the deal only if they ask for it and only if you’re okay with that.

3. I would add a section specifically titled “Additional Benefits” that specifically includes the payout of your pension, all equity vested as of 10/6/2017, and access to your 401k for potential withdrawal or rollover, plus whatever contributions the company may put in (if applicable) as of 10/6/2017.