Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

How much does this service cost? I'm inquiring about the…

Customer Question
How much does this...

How much does this service cost?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Employment Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

I'm inquiring about the legalities of an employer who is claiming my tips for me instead of allowing me to do it accurately.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm a manager/server which is how I was able to obtain this information.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Colorado wage law allows for an employer to assert claim to, right of ownership in, or control over tips only if: the employer posts a printed card at least 12 inches by 15 inches in size with letters one-half inch high in a conspicuous location at the place of business. The card must contain a notice to the general public that all tips or gratuities given by the patron are not the property of the employee, but instead belong to the employer.

If the employer does not post a printed card detailing tip ownership as described above, the employer may not exert any control over cash tips designated for an employee. In which case, you would have a claim against the employer for underpaying you by miscalculating your tips.

Assuming the employer follows the law, then the tips are the employer's not yours, so the employer's inaccuracies become irrelevant. However, under such circumstances, the employer is required to pay you at least $9.30 per hour, plus 1 1/2 times that amount for overtime hours in excess of 40 per seven day workweek. Otherwise, you would have a claim against the employer for failure to pay minimum wage and overtime.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!