Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I live in Reading Pa. I was recently let go on 9/171027 from…

Customer Question
Hi. I live in Reading...
Hi. I live in Reading Pa. I was recently let go on 9/171027 from a job due too equipment bein down and has too be sent out too be repaired. My supervisor said it's not fair too me that I'm not workin and I should look elsewhere. I asked him and the main office if I could work elsewhere in the company cause they own six subsidiaries. They told me nothin was available. Then today on 9/19/2017 I saw on their website they are hiring for a general laborer on a gas crewand I also called the office and said they were hiring also for a general laborer in the shop. Should I have been offerd either one of those first?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Can you tell me if you think that you were targeted based upon your race, age, religion, gender, or disability?

No. I was only told cause of equipment failure.

I see. Thank you for that additional information. Please give me a few minutes while I type a response. I am still here with you, but it does take a bit of time to type a complete response.

K. No problem

The first thing that you need to know is that Pennsylvania is an "at-will" employment state. At-will employment means that without a contract, you have no contractual or other right to employment with the company. The company is entitled to fire you for any reason: a good reason, a poor reason, or no reason at all--as long as the company does not fire you for an illegal reason (race, gender, age, religion, etc...). But it extends beyond firing, to hiring, promotions, demotions, wage cuts and raises, disciplinary actions, and even scheduling. Unless you can show that this was done in violation of a contract, union agreement, or a clear violation of an unambiguous and binding clause against the employer, or that it was done because of some minority status (age, race, gender, religion, disability) that you have, then they do have this discretion.

As such, your employer doesn't legally have to offer you this job. It may, but doesn't have to. Now "should" it have offered you this job, I certainly think so, but that's my personal opinion, rather than a legal obligation. It's the "right" thing to do. And certainly what they did was immoral, unethical, and illogical, but it was not illegal.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

K. Thanks

My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer