Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My friend has been asked to sign a "marriage is between a…

Customer Question
My friend has been...

My friend has been asked to sign a "marriage is between a man and a woman" statement at work - is that required or can she push back based on any laws protecting her?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Oh! I am sorry - this is an employee at NCU! So sorry

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

OMG - I''ve lost my friend with whom I was communicating. Can I return to this issue/question in a bit? so sorry

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Is your friend receiving any sort of benefits due to the fact that she is married? Why is the employer requesting this statement? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

No, just a routine requirement I believe. See this site. https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnsnews.com%2Fnews%2Farticle%2Fmichael-w-chapman%2Fevangelicals-sign-nashville-statement-reaffirm-man-woman-marriage&h=ATO4XGnQKJgsdKwXgdoDk1kX4E73RdQJNklYGejR-wL0nGo6_Hzu5xAHp-M9xyHdtmBkupPiXMq_zw0L_SPB9uY16PTEstnUCSKlsP-AyFLwABuqHnfP0oARHg&s=1&enc=AZN8mQKfyTWVD9F_GqnPMx4113vzui_N4430M5oDQO7P5-dpwutkWyRkxcUNBL1rm454ccpjze1XvxhzkyIljeIT

Thank you. I think I originally misunderstood your question as asking whether an employer can ask for proof that two people are married. It seems this is more of a political statement that the employee is being asked to support. If that is the case,Oregon has a law on point. The law states:

"An employer...may not discharge, discipline....or take any adverse employment action against an employee:

(a) Because the employee declines to attend or participate in an employer-sponsored meeting or communication...if the primary purpose of the meeting or communication is to communicate the opinion of the employer about religious or political matters;"

2015 ORS 659.785

This would be a statement about a political matter. As such, an employee should be free to refuse to sign it and be legally insulated from adverse employment action. Furthermore, Oregon law prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, which would arguably be what occurs if an employee is terminated for not signing a statement about marriage being between a man and woman.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.