Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was trying to fine specific employment laws for but im…

Customer Question
Hi there! I was...

Hi there! I was trying to fine specific employment laws for virginia but im having trouble. I was issued a summons recently for serving alchohol to a minor, I did ID him but I read it wrong. This resulted in me being fired, as I expected. But I was wondering if, under VA law, I am able to file for uneployment.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You are eligible for unemployment in most instances.

A person is disqualified for unemployment if they voluntarily quit OR if they are terminated fro "Wilful Misconduct."

You should file for unemployment. If the employer challenges or you are initially denied you should appeal and go to a hearing before the hearing officer. The Unemployment Compensation Office staff have very limited discretion so you should always appeal the initial denial.

You do NOT need an attorney to appeal the initial denial. You will go to the hearing and testify that you simply made a mistake. If the hearing officer believes it was an error they will grant you unemployment compensation.

See:

http://law.justia.com/codes/virginia/2014/title-60.2

http://www.vec.virginia.gov/unemployed/claims-information

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald